Job Code: #14057
Title: Software Engineer – Big Data
Job Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Software Engineer – Big Data
Our client has an immediate opening for a Software Engineer – Big Data in the Phoenix, AZ area.
Software Engineer – Big Data
Client provides innovative enterprise SOA solutions based on Open Source and AWS technologies. The team is a tightknit team where you can enhance your skills in an environment that emphasizes creativity, sharing, teamwork, professionalism, and outstanding quality software. You will work alongside some of the most talented and dynamic professionals as they work to provide exceptional solutions to the many challenges our business and franchises face. If you are bright, driven, enjoy working with the latest technologies and have the right blend of business acumen, technically savvy and customer-facing skills then this opportunity is for you. If you are willing to work hard, looking for a place to learn and grow, and have the skills we would like to hear from you.
The cool stuff you do:
- Understands and makes well-reasoned design decisions and tradeoffs in their area; able to work in other areas of the codebase with guidance.
- Doesn't flail while debugging.
- Demonstrates knowledge of industry trends, our infrastructure and our build system, including maven, Jenkins, and Git.
- Internal or external certifications in one or more ore standardized technologies.
- Persistent in the face of roadblocks; dispatches them efficiently, pulling in others as necessary. Requires minimal direction/oversight.
- Takes the initiative to fix issues before being assigned them. Seeks empirical evidence through proof of concepts, tests and external research.
- Delivers complex products to QA that they believe are well-baked and bug-free.
- End-to-end responsibility on projects of increasing complexity; contributes to common code.
- Looks at test cases and advises QA on adjacent code/regression impact.
- Understands the business supported by their system/project or the system/project they support.
- Partners with product and analytics and drive requirements that take into account all parties' needs.
- Possesses empathy with the user of the software they are producing and uses that empathy to guide decision-making.
- Identifies problems/risks of own work and others.
- Communicates technical decisions through design docs, tech talks, and the wiki.
- Communicates effectively cross functions; is able to work well with Product, Design, Analytics, etc, as necessary.
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements (lack of clarity, inconsistencies, technical limitations) for their own work and adjacent work, and communicates these issues early to help course-correct.
- Mentors junior engineers via pairing, design review, and code review. Contributes frequently to sprint demos reviews and retrospectives.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead a software engineering team. Begins to lead team on projects.
Your education and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field, from a four-year college or university, or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant industry certification, such as Oracle Java Developer, is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in software development, information systems, or equivalent technical environment, including previous experience in the development of highly transactional, mission critical applications in heterogeneous environments/architectures for multi-user systems.
- Expert level proficiency with the following technologies:
- Java (5+ years). Versions 1.6 and beyond are a good start!
- Spring or similar MVC framework.
- Unix/Linux and one of the many shells
- Service oriented designs and technologies.
- Web service technologies such as SOAP and REST
- SQL and NoSQL
- Version control such as Git and code review type tools such as Stash.
- Continuous Integration/Delivery toolkits such as Jenkins/Puppet.
- Queuing technologies, JMS, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ.
- Spark, Cloudera, HDFS, Kafka, Hive, Impala. (Not necessarily Hadoop- MapR)
- AWS (S3, SQS, SNS, EC2)
- Cassandra and/or MongoDB
- Exceptional analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interface with internal/external people at all levels.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demeanor.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications, such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
You get cool points if you have done any of the following:
- Added value proficiencies in the following technologies:
- Familiar with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, Sonar, Stash.
For immediate consideration please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re interested in and a strong fit for the above opportunity please provide your answers to the following questions:
1) Are you local (AZ)?
2) Are you currently working?
3) What is your availability to interview? How soon could you start if you were offered this position?
4) Are you a US Citizen? What is your citizenship status?
5) Do you have any upcoming vacations?
6) What are your annual salary requirements? What are your hourly wage requirements?
7) Are you seeking a contract, contract to hire, direct hire or are you open to all?
8) Phone number to reach you quickly for interview scheduling?
9) Are you currently interviewing? Do you have any other offers?
US citizens and those authorized to work in the US are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor H1b candidates at this time. You must pass a background check and drug screen.
We look forward to working with you!
Your PDS Team
Productive Data Solutions, Inc.